What is a Woolie?
Welcome Week Leaders (Woolies) develop relationships with new students, engage with Welcome Week events, and also help with the logistics of Welcome Week. Woolies are here to support new students and their transition to college by sharing their personal student experiences, valuable resources, and important upcoming events and opportunities.
Want to be a Woolie?
Join our Team! Being a Woolie is a fun leadership position where you meet lots of great people, learn interesting facts about UMBC, and help create a fun, informative welcome program for new students. Applications for the 2022 cycle are due on April 1, 2022.
Interested students can attend one of two information sessions. One on Tuesday, March 15 at 11 a.m. in Commons 329 (limited seating) and one on Monday, March 28 at 4:30 p.m. in Public Policy 105.
Woolie Job Description
The Welcome Week Leaders (WOOLIES) are ambassadors for UMBC, and facilitate Welcome Week for new students at UMBC. Welcome Week Leaders (Woolies) will develop relationships and encourage a group of 25-35 new students to engage with Welcome Week events; sustain relationships with and serve as a resource for new students throughout the first six weeks of the fall semester; participate in training around topics relevant to welcoming new students to campus.
Summary of Essential Functions
Woolies are ambassadors for UMBC.The help facilitate Welcome Week for new students by acting as guides and mentors to new students. Woolies play an active role in every program during Welcome Week, take initiative to create a supportive environment for new students throughout the first six weeks, and thoroughly understand our campus resources.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Attend all required Trainings and Welcome Week Sessions
- Maintain a positive attitude throughout Woolie Training and Welcome Week
- Serve a role model for Woolies and new and incoming students
- Take initiative, be proactive, exhibit flexibility, and maintain a friendly and welcoming demeanor.
- Work autonomously when necessary and make well thought out decisions.
- Assist in the move in process.
- Give new students campus and classroom tours.
- Eat meals with new students.
- Play icebreakers and create campus communities through small group time.
- Encourage attendance at Welcome Week events such as the Outdoor Movie, Community Art Project, Involvement Fest, Big Breakfast and Bingo, and other Welcome Week events.
- Escort students at required Welcome Week events such as Convocation, Academic Toolkits, and DEI trainings.
- Answer questions and be a resource to new students.
- Serve as a guide to the culture and nuance of UMBC.
- Alert appropriate staff regarding student issues or behaviors of concern in new students.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Ability to communicate effectively with new students and teammates, via email and in-person
Strong interpersonal relationship skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others from various backgrounds.
- Must be a current undergraduate student who has completed at least one semester at UMBC
- Must be in good judicial, behavioral, and academic standing (at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA)
- We are looking for a diverse group of students who possess the following:
- A desire and the ability to work with a diverse group of students, faculty, and staff
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Leadership potential and problem-solving skills
- A desire to serve the UMBC community
- Legally able to work in the US.
- Woolies may not hold positions that are a direct time conflict with trainings, such as RA, Peer Facilitator, SGA Officer, (seb), or OPA. If you have a question about this, please email the Woolie team to inquire.
- Spring Training (Late April/Early May)
- Summer Virtual Training (Four 90 minute trainings in June, July, and August)
- Virtual Outreach to new students during summer
- Fall In Person Training (Tentatively August 22-August 26th, 2022)
- Welcome Week (Saturday August 27th – Monday September 5th, 2022)
- Virtual Outreach to new students during Fall through first six weeks of school
- $250 stipend
- Meals during trainings and Welcome Week
- Move in early to fall housing assignment with all early move-in fees waived, for students who are living on campus
- Free UMBC/Welcome Week Apparel & Swag
- Woolie Recognition Reception
Interested in applying? Click here to submit your application!
Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Woolies 2022.